Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Thursday 1 September 2011

Hep! L has broken loose: The Curse of the Typo

Typos are like flies on the windscreen. They appear as soon as you've finished a clean. And they do matter. I wish I could find an effective typo eradicator. When my first book, Inside the Glasshouse was published, I was sent six author's complementary copies by Faber. The first page I opened contained a typo, despite twelves months of editing and proof reading.

Typos matter because they distract the reader and that's what they remember for the next few pages. They matter, because they're embarrassing, like not being able to spell embarrassing, or environment (This was the first word I ever chalked on a blackboard in my first teaching practice - and I left the n out! - and I was being observed.)

And typos are so important in uploading your web page to Go Daddy. Yesterday, I missed a forward slash from a dialogue box and my web page wouldn't appear. Three hours later having poured over Google pages, I discovered my error.

Curse the typo! Sigh of relief at last! Please visit www.gilesdiggle.com and report  any typos to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment