Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Monday 26 September 2011

Roads Not Taken

Back at the crossroads. 7.50 a.m. Monday morning. Four roads to go down and no chance of a popular vote to nudge me one direction or another.

I could backtrack today and revisit my agent list and maybe revise my synopsis, or even God forbid mess around with the structure of The Key to Finlac.

And what of the other roads? To the left and the right I am faced with beginning two novels for young people. One is set in the past in the real world, the other is fantastical. This is my dilemma. It reflects my writing history. Inside the Glasshouse and Roosters v Badgerman & Bogwitch and The Key to Finlac.

How is a reader going to characterise me: realist or fantasist? Does it matter? Aren't I just a story-teller, capable of drawing people in regardless of their preferences. Not sure it works like that.

Readers might prefer a series with recurring characters; there is comfort and safety in that. I am interested in the story a character has to tell, but they tend to tell me only one. Then I leave them and listen to another. I am curious as to what happens to them next, but it is never as interesting as what has happened to them before. Anyway, the reader can carry on the story into the future should they so wish.

And the bumpy road, that lies straight ahead with its diversion signs and contraflows.... roadworks in progress? An adult thriller.

This morning I must choose which road to go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment