Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Saturday 24 September 2011

iPhone Therefore I Am

Holiday reading? Take a pile of books, or take a Kindle. In the case of travelling light take an iPod Touch or an iPhone or another smartphone. I wear glasses for reading; it helps.

While I was away, I read The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo on my iPod: the screen is 3"x2". The Redbreast is a full-length novel. A page scroller. A thoughtful thriller. It does have short chapters. It is written in the Hemingway style. Filmic. Possibly the ideal ebook. It may be the future. The seemingly impossible is possible.

Perhaps, I have a short attention span? I'm not sure I would read Moby Dick on an iPhone. I would certainly read it on a Kindle. If I'd had a smartphone as as student, I would probably have spent even longer in coffee bars and cafeterias.

I also had the full manuscript of The Key to Finlac formatted as a Kindle ebook on my iPod. I couldn't revise it, but I could read it and it looked ok.

The children's ebook market is young, but it won't take long to mature... as long as children keep reading. The smartphone is the portable Penguin/Puffin of the ebook world.

 I am not attached to paper. I am glued to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment