Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Monday 5 September 2011

Rejection Letters: When a Ping Becomes a Pong.

Be careful what you wish for! As soon as I changed my email alert from a pong to a ping and moaned about the lack of even an automated response (check out No Ping No Post & The Thank You Experiment) I received a very polite but automated rejection from a well known Literary Agent. And on a Sunday too - they obviously work weekends. Or the mail server does. Impressive.

How did that make me feel? For starters, like an eighteen year old getting their first rejection from university.  I soon got over that. Then it was the sting and giddiness of an unexpected punch in face coming from the left. A quick shake of the head cleared that. Then of course it is anger and bitterness and a how could they? This soon passed. Rational again. Clarity.

Of course, a response after three weeks was pretty much what I was hoping for and the message was pretty much as I expected. Anyway I had another date in my diary to look forward to.

Three weeks ago I checked out an agent's website for their submissions guidelines and discovered they could not possibly take any proposals until 5 September. (Today!) So I paid the site a visit at 8.00 a.m., only to find that they can't possibly take anything until 12 January 2012!

This is how difficult the children's fiction market is. Strangely, their message gives me hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment