Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Thursday 3 November 2011

Sugar Lumps of Encouragement - Honesty is a Hard Pill to Swallow.

Another day, another nice contact from an agent. She sounds charming and is very kind. Neighbourly even. Concerned. The email arrived like a handwritten note put through the door. There she goes down the front path. A cheery wave goodbye from an unobtrusive distance. Going shopping. Actually that's her job.

As emails arrive in my mail box, they seem increasingly like get-well cards. Glad you are making progress. Hope you'll be out and about soon. I think there's some hope for you yet. Keep taking the medicine. You could always try another practitioner....

I cast no blame. In a former professional life I have composed notes like this myself.

Like get-well cards, messages from agents, don't really get to the root of the problem, they skirt around the embarrassing or difficult issues. They cheer you up for an hour or two; they don't do much to make you well.

At the end of the day, getting better or managing the condition comes from within oneself. The only medicine that really works is a regular dose of writing.

And so of course that is exactly what I go on doing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Giles, I loved this post. I'd never thought of them as get well cards, but yes - that's it exactly. Good luck with the writing ATB Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah, for your kind comment. My immune system is pretty robust at the moment! I reached that quarter way-marker in my new book today; only 45,000 words to go before revisions. I hope to finish the first draft by end of January.

    ReplyDelete