Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Tuesday 8 November 2011

be-book-a-lula: when writing feels like Elvis

Some days the keyboard plays rock 'n' roll. Don't ask me why. It just sings to a different beat.

On a good day I write 500 words an hour. But not all day - otherwise I'd be writing a novel a month. My quota is a thousand words or a little over, then I stop with a drum roll on the desk and and a crash of cymbals in my head. On a good day I've finished work by 10.30. a.m. having had a coffee break halfway through.

On a bad day, it's like a the guitar player hasn't turned up. 750 words after four hours; the thunder of drums in my head.

I write chapters 2,500 words long. Short and crisp like the two minute single. Memorable. A juke box-full that might become an album... eventually... hopefully.

And when that happens I feel like Elvis.

No comments:

Post a Comment