Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Friday 11 November 2011

11.11.11 : Dystopia & remembrance of things past

Today, a number. A truly digital date for a digital age. Or magical, depending on your sensibility. I am an optimistic person, a writer for children and YA (Young Adults). I am eleven again. Looking back, looking forward, I conclude that I am a green and pleasant land person by nature and nurture.

I don't believe in dystopia. Therefore I am disinclined to write about it, just for the thrill of it or because of a market trend in many forms of modern YA media. Today we remember the light, and make a note that darkness should be kept at bay.

Nor am I a utopian, though I have a preference for nature writing, meditative poetry and optimistic stories where troubled protagonists find redemption.

The truth of things, I think, occupies the ground somewhere in between and needs to be told in an honest tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment