Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Monday 21 November 2011

The Book and the Bittern: A Lesson for the Learning

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mheeFour days away from the new book made for a tough start today. I thought I'd left a plot tag for myself to latch on to, but I hadn't. Flummoxed for a while, I engaged in pleasant displacement activity. I nearly packed up and went birding at WWT Slimbridge.

Nine o'clock came. I had not done much but stare out of the window at the birds busying themselves around the feeders. I tweeted about a Robin chasing a Hedge Sparrow (Dunnock), drawing a lesson from nature; not quite Aesop. A Blackcap appeared on the grape vine and the fig tree; I tweeted a comment about global warming.

I made coffee.

I wrote a paragraph. I built to 504 words. Took a break, went to Tesco. Came back, stuck at it and managed to crack the 1000 word barrier before lunch.

One of the tougher writing days, but rewarded by birds. And in the afternoon I saw the elusive Bittern. Never seen one before, and maybe never will again. Its only appearance today - for ten minutes in the middle of the reed bed, heavily camouflaged.

If I'd abandoned the book and gone birding this morning, I would have missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment