Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Burning the Kindle at both ends

I have been talking about it for years. (Keep your friends close, keep your enemies even closer.) Though I don't really think of the Kindle, or any e-reader or tablet in that way. More like new neighbours that I'm nosey about. Or maybe they look interesting and I'd like to be friends.

Yesterday, my Kindle arrived.

What a tool for a writer! At last my MS in progress will be bearable to look at on a screen, and formatted just as the reader will see it. It will look like a book. I shall be able to carry it with me. I can download it to Kindle as a .pdf or even better use Scrivener to convert it into e-book format. The Kindle is a gateway. It is an essential tool.

I have also bought the Kindle, because it is there and I need to know, and because of all that free 19th century literature. Moby DickWalden, & Leaves of Grass were the first works I downloaded. The Scarlet Letter will be next. It's like being in the university bookshop again; the thrill of the bargain bin!

As a writer and a reader I shall burn the Kindle at both ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment