Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Thursday 1 December 2011

When does restoration become a revision?

 Today, I've been working on the ebook edition of Badgerman & Bogwitch. It has been a slow process, I started work on it more than six months ago. Working without a deadline is never a good thing.

Before I could even think about revising the text, I had to restore it. I had typed the original in WordPerfect 5.1 in the early part of the last decade of the last century, white text on a lovely blank blue screen. (I favour a blue screen and have managed to recreate such a workplace in Scrivener for my current projects).

WordPerfect files presented me with a problem. I chose the cheap route and managed to import them into NeoOffice to convert them into Word.docs. Even then the formatting needed quite a lot of work before I could move them into Scrivener, which conveniently converts files into ebooks.

A while back, thinking I'd finished, I loaded the final MS onto my Kindle to preview it. The spacing between paragraphs was awry and the First Line Indents were nowhere to be seen. Today I have been back into the Scrivener files repeatedly pressing fn7 to add indents. The consolation being that I have managed to listen to much of the back catalogue of Kate Bush. (That's another story.) The paragraph spacing I shall sort out at another time.

Meanwhile, the ebook has allowed me to make revisions to the original text. Was I right or wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment