Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Tuesday 13 December 2011

What Ahab and the Bittern did for me

What's the point of reading Moby Dick, then ending up like Ahab and the Whale?

The Bittern is no longer elusive. I videoed it yesterday and got it out of my system. It was sunny so I went birding and did no writing. No point in heaping pressure on myself.

No matter. It is raining this morning as a result of a deep Atlantic depression and and I wrote 1200 words in two and a half hours with a latte in between. I feel optimistic and back on track. Over the weekend I was able to make some major decisions about the plot of the book and darkened some characters in an unexpected way, which means I shall have to revisit and rewrite the first few chapters.

In the mean time, I shall keep going until I reach the end. Only then will I go back and sort out the beginning.

Shame Ahab never had that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment