Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Friday 9 December 2011

Deadlines or Dead Lines? - Working with the tyranny of time.

Back to full fitness today, touch wood, but I have lost two week's writing (about 8,000 words) and that raises the question of the deadline I set for finishing my current project: 30 January 2012. I had allowed for the Christmas break in between.

I am not up against the constraints of any publishing contract or Scrutiny Committee meeting, but the deadline is still important to me; the only way to get things done. Shall I work through Christmas to make up? No. Friends & family to see and films to watch.

Shall I up my word rate to 1,500 for sixteen consecutive days to meed the deadline? Beware the sound of exhausted prose.

1,200 words a day is a possibility, but in the end I shall have to be philosophical and pragmatic, as I am about videoing the elusive Bittern. I didn't see it at Slimbridge this morning. There will be another day, another bird, another book.

Right now I am thinking mid- February, which is ok as long as I produce 1000 words by end of Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment