Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Shed, the Deadline and the Pencil Sharpener.

A new coat of paint for the virtual shed today. Did it really need one?

Because Apple are doing away with MobileMe, I have been forced into upgrading to OSX Lion. Having upgraded the memory in my iMac to 4mb Ram some months ago, I bit the bullet and downloaded Lion from the App Store yesterday. (And it went without a hitch and runs sweetly in the background.)

Of course doing so would mean that I would have to download a new version  Microsoft Office 2011 for OSX, because my old edition would no longer work. I toyed with the idea of using the free NeoOffice instead, but I prefer the familiarity of the products I know. I have never got on with Pages or Numbers, so Office it is, despite using Scrivener for all my writing. But I feel I need the security of MS Office for delivering final manuscripts to agents and publishers. (Scrivener easily exports MS Word files.)

The other consequence of all this is that iDisk (Apple's online storage) will no long be available. It has been replaced by iCloud, and the only documents you can store on that are those produced on Pages, Numbers or Keynote. Thank goodness then for Dropbox, which I have now adopted for my backups. (And don't ever forget to do those, or even wander around with just a memory stick in your pocket!)

But what of the writing? Despite all this tinkering with the technology I have completed my 48,000 words right on time. However, the first draft is not quite finished. I think I need to produce another 5-10K to wind it all up...but it is getting there.

And what have I learned from this? Some days I just miss the simplicity of the pencil sharpener.

No comments:

Post a Comment