Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Thursday 1 March 2012

Why I walked away from the book.

Sometimes a book in the making becomes an entrenched position like one side of an argument. It is best to walk away and reconsider one's standpoint; there's nothing to be gained in spoiling a good relationship by hanging onto a view you know to be wrong, but can't work out how to change.

I walked away from my book this morning, because it felt a little like that. There was no purpose in getting worked up about it, because I knew the plot wasn't going to budge. And basically I was too tired to argue with it as well.

Besides, the fog had cleared outside. 1 March - nearly Spring. The sun came out. I took someone else's book outside and started to do some gentle research for a future project.

It's true, a cup of tea and a fresh perspective cures most things. Today will become tomorrow; the earth turns.

Now I have come back to my book. The answer was obvious really. I should have listened to what the story was telling me in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment