Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Singles Sequels & Series

Diamonds, ermines and pearls? You can probably think of other analogies for single novels, their sequels and whole series. I am writing a standalone novel for children/young adults at the moment. I have only a short way to to go until the first draft is finished.

In the past I have been asked if I would ever write a sequel to Badgerman & Bogwitch. I always say, NO. Why? Because the words of my then editor at Faber ring in my ears. To paraphrase: Sequels never work, they are inevitably weaker than the first and the sub-text to his advice: sequels are lazy writing, a too often barren milk cow.

So the answer is still no. But I have thought of incorporating my protagonist of that book, Steve, as a peripheral figure in another novel. However, that too is a well-worn technique much done in TV drama, and other things interest me. I am at peace with that character; let him get on with his own life in his particular world.

No sequels for me. I don't want to be described as one book short of a trilogy.  Like ermine, sequels are cruelly unnecessary, retaining nothing of the character of the original warm blooded creature.

At the moment, my book in progress is begging to be a series, (or does it flatter to deceive?) There are three strong characters. A start for two more stories. But they have to be carefully planned, not just arrived at like a sequel. They must all be as good as each other and delivered with equal artistry.

So far, I have chosen to stand alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment