Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Writing Not Decorating

Back to writing today. Oddly for me in the afternoon. Only 59,495 words to go before revision. I forced myself to sit down. I was going to write a synopsis. I abandoned that idea after three words. Then I thought I'd do some character sketches. I gave up on that idea too.

So I did what I always do. I started writing. My character found a name. Now she has to find other characters to meet - I now have four - and a story to tell. That story has begun. A fifth character waits somewhere at the end of the garden, maybe. This is the how I work. The only way I can invent is to write, then sort it all out afterwards. Risky? It's the only method I know.

I enjoyed it (just as well) trying to scare myself with the story rather than the daunting nature of the task. My character is off and walking about, already troubled, feeling a little alienated, claustrophobic and perplexed. Female this time - a new departure.

The girl is temporarily or permanently called Lorraine (for reasons unknown). A wide world is ahead of her. And that's the whole point about children's fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment