Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Friday 20 January 2012

What Sarah Duncan can do for you.

Persistence pays. I didn't feel like writing at all this morning. I fiddled around looking over yesterday's work, then spent a little time reading Sarah Duncan's blog - displacement activity, curiosity. She writes romantic fiction. Not my kind of stuff, but writing skills and attitudes are fairly generic. Sarah Duncan always has something sensible to say about the novelist's working life.

Her blog happened to be about writing when you are tired - a daily occurrence. The blog was just enough of a nudge to make me hit the keys.

Writing can be an isolated existence, but it doesn't have to be. There are some good supportive blogs out there. And what's more, by persisting this morning, about 500 words into my writing I had one of those great Eureka, plot changing moments. The isolation is worth it for that kind of kick.

The thrill doesn't come if you sit there doing nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I find inspiration never comes without hard graft...but apparently idle moments like yours also can lead us on to interesting discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Giles

    Glad to have provided someone some inspiration, especially as it led to one of those Eureka moments. I love them - think they're half the reason I write.

    ATB Sarah

    ReplyDelete