Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Puritan and the Pencil Sharpener

Strange how things turn themselves on their head. I have been writing my book this week, less because I have to, but more because I am enjoying it. This has been the situation for a while. Back in the 1990's when I was first published, I found getting down to writing very difficult, and would do almost anything to avoid it.

This week I have found myself doing it easily and have realised that I"d much rather be working on the book than writing tedious letters to agents. Creativity has suddenly become a displacement activity as well as a process in itself.

Well that's good isn't it? Better than pencil sharpening or cleaning one's keyboard. But the other work has to be done. I must resurrect the Local Government Officer in me and start pushing some paper. Tomorrow.

But the puritan in me also wonders, whether pain is a guarantor of success and all this enjoyment might just be a hindrance?At the end of the day, I shall have to whip the finished article into shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment