Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Thursday 19 January 2012

Creation: the story without a beginning, middle and an end.

Running up a hill into a headwind in the dark. That's what writing has been like this morning.

I have 11,500 words (11 days) to go until I finish the first draft of my current project. I am at that turning point in the story where I have to begin pulling together all the threads whilst keeping the reader in suspense.

It is so tempting to just fall down by the wayside and reveal everything in an explosion of explication. That would be easy if I knew exactly where I was going. It would certainly be unwise. Instead I am doggedly, staring at the horizon in the hope that I know where I am heading, in the hope that I have come the right way. There are no landmarks. Who knows where I'll end up?

That is the way I write a story. The first thing I have to do is tell it to myself. And contrary to what they say in school, the tale starts without a beginning, a middle, and end.

No comments:

Post a Comment