Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Monday 29 August 2011

The Goodbye Book Hello-Goodbye Agents Blues

What do you do when you've finished your book? How do you know you've actually finished it? After 19 years I finished The Key to Finlac. In the last year I produced four drafts. I spent two weeks proof-reading. I'm sure there are still one or two typos. I just had to let it go.

I was first published through the Faber "slushpile." That shows you need luck as well as talent. And past good fortune and previous performance does not guarantee future success, which means I have to measure success as enjoyment of the creative process. Write because I like to and because I must.

I let The Key to Finlac loose two weeks ago. This time around, I am looking for a literary agent to represent me and the book. I sent a synopsis and the first three chapters off to four establishments. I like my book. I live in hope, but I won't lie to myself. These are tough times in publishing; I think it always has been so. Agents receive hundreds of manuscripts a year. The J K Rowlings are few and far between, and even they get rejected.

In the meantime, each ping of the email makes me jump!


No comments:

Post a Comment