Giles Diggle on Twitter @50oakwoods

Friday 15 February 2013

How to be a writing success.

I haven't abandoned the blog. My Mum died on 29 November 2012, just after my last post. She was 87 years old.  The writing got shelved for a while. When I wrote my last entry, I was 10,000 words off finishing a first draft of my new venture. I was hoping to get it done by Christmas..

After a two month lay-off, I started writing again. I am pleased to say I have now finished the first draft of the book I started on 3 October. At this stage I am happy with it and have already made some notes about omissions, characters and plot threads I need to develop... and I need to make sure that after a two month break I am writing in the same voice as before.

Recently I was asked again what makes a successful writer. I don't think it is anything to do with income earned, number of fan mails received or profile on the Web; I don't even think it is anything to do with publication. I do concede some books are better than others and certainly - for better or worse - some earn more than others. Somebody will always be more brilliant than yourself.

A successful writer is one who is writing on a regular basis. It as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment